all images c. randi anderson 2008

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Week of Broken Holiday Decor

Among other things, this week has been the week of broken holiday stuff! I've found three, count them, THREE different holiday decorations (from three different holidays...and I think in three different stores, too!) that were way discounted because they were slightly broken, scuffed, and missing some pieces. Of course, being that I'm soft-hearted when it comes to slightly damaged things, and taking into account the fact that they all perfectly matched my other vintage-style holiday decorations, I salvaged them. I brought them home all swaddled in tissue, then pulled out my paper clay, hot glue, vintage tinsel, crepe paper, and of course, lots of glitter...and I fixed the little darlings right up! They're even better now than they were before, I think. How lucky it was for the both of us that they ended up with me!This chenille pipe-cleaner snowman was marked down because he was a bit disjointed (pun totally intended)- he was unravelling a bit- his head was hanging by just a "thread" and his hat was missing, all but the little black felt brim. Enter: hot glue, tinsel, little paper hat...silver glitter and VIOLA! Good as new!I do really like halloween decor, but try to keep really creepy, scary things out of mine. I stick to a theme of candy corn and pumpkins. I love these paper mache pumpkin people! I have quite a few of them(...I'll do a halloween decorations post when I get them all out). So I scooped this little man up even though his hat was chipped and he was totally missing the end of his wand! I fashioned a brand new star for the wand out of paper clay, added some crepe paper and plenty of glitter for good measure! Ta-da!!The only real problem with this sweet little bunny atop a giant easter egg was his little ears. It appeared he'd been dropped...a couple of times. Not a problem- a little ear repair was simple enough!

So there you have it, a Cinderella story of holiday decor!

Here's wishing you a happy weekend!

sweetly, happily, and artfully yours,

randi

4 comments:

Sweet B Folkart said...

Randi -I can't wait to see what your home will look like this Christmas!

Sweet B

vivian said...

Hi Randi..
love your pumpkin head decoration! and great job fixing the rabbits ears! I love decorating too.. I have so much stuff... too much really, and the sad thing is, I always want more.. there are just way too many cute things out there!!
hugs
vivian

Judi said...

How wonderful you saved them from a landfill! Super job and very clever!!

Deb said...

Lucky bunny! Reminds me of the island of misfit toys....