all images c. randi anderson 2008

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Strawberry Fields Forever

It has recently come to my attention that I have a strawberry fetish. Had you asked, I'd have answered "Sure, I like strawberries," but evidence would suggest I more than just like them- I'm drawn to them so much so that I've inadvertantly begun something of a strawberry collection! This whole revelation came about after my thrifting trip earlier this week. You may recall from Monday's post that I purchased a little crosstitch sampler of strawberries. I was simply drawn to it, and since it was only a dollar, I brought it home. That very afternoon I reframed it (see picture below) and was hanging it in my kitchen when I realized that the place I'd chosen to hang it was just below another wall-hanging with strawberries on it. Intrigued, I began to walk around the house taking pictures of all the things I own with strawberries on them. I was shocked at how many there were (again, note pictures below) and they weren't limited to kitchen items either. I actually have strawberry pajamas!
As I realized that strawberries had subconsciously become an obsession in my non-art life, it occured to me that it must inevitably have seeped into my art as well. Not surprisingly, it has! Here is a sampling of the recent products into or onto which I've incorporated strawberries:
I think my most exciting strawberry creation to date is this set of three strawberry "cookies". I've actually been anxious to blog about these because they are a new product I've been perfecting for literally years! These "cookies" are 100% inedible. No food products were used AT ALL- so theoretically, they'll last forever! I just love them. These are just for display, but I'll have more coming soon that have ribbons on them for hanging as ornaments. I'll let you know when the Christmas "cookies" are ready! Another sneak peek at some of my newest creations: a strawberry cupcake! Like the "cookies" it's completely artificial!

After all my ponderings about strawberries, I was inspired to make a real strawberry dessert. If you thought the fruit pizza was pretty, but easy- you should try this strawberry trifle. It took 25 minutes to make from start to finish and that includes a trip to Brookshires to get the stuff I needed to make it! I bought a sour cream bundt cake (pound cake is fine) from the bakery area, two tubs of cool whip, and a large box of strawberries. I cut the cake into cubes, and cut the tops off of and sliced in half all but a few of the best shaped strawberries which I set aside for the top. Then I got out my trifle dish and layered it: cake cubes, then one tub of Cool Whip, then strawberries (all of them), then cake cubes, then other tub of Cool Whip, and the pretty strawberries I saved for the top. DONE. It was lovely, summery, and a really big hit at Bible study last night! (* try it with a lemon cake, Cool Whip and blueberries or raspberries!)


berry sweetly, happily, and artfully yours,


randi

3 comments:

Deb said...

We have been talking about telling you, but glad to see you figured it out by yourself.

Monica said...

Yum, yum! Those fake cookies look good. I can see it now, soon you'll stage a blogger's strawberry goods swap. I'd send my strawberry stationery I designed:) And oh yeah, some catalog art rawks.
Monica

susan said...

well i am glad i am not the only one addicted to strawberries!!
i love all your strawberry things, and i really do need some of your cupcakes, cookies and those big cakes are to die for!