all images c. randi anderson 2008

Monday, July 7, 2008

Christmas In July


A sneak peek at what I'm working on for Christmas 2008. This is from "The Houses On Peppermint Lane". It's the first of a new series I'm really looking forward to. I have high hopes for Christmas artwork this year...and I'm getting started early! Let me know what you think, and stay "tuned" for more! Oh- and the paper used for the backdrop- a gorgeous print by Cavellini Papers & Co., Inc.
They're stunning printers with exquisite designs. Check them out!


sweetly, happily, and artfully yours,


randi


P.S. Due to a recent...ok two recent debates...concerning the comma before the "and" in a series (also known as the Oxford or Harvard comma- as above in sweetly *comma* happily *comma* and artfully)... I am going to try to remember to put it in there because (in both said debates) I was informed not only that I am comma inept in various other capacities, but also that MLA ammended their rules to state this comma is not so much optional anymore, yet I continue to omit it. I make no promises because I used to be a journalism student and was taught for years this particular comma was, in fact, optional. Plus, I am, as aforementioned, comma inept. Nonetheless, I am passing the information on lest you be caught comma-less in a comma-warranted situation. So there.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I don't put commas before "and". I was taught that it was NOT needed. I ask Ye Olde Journalism major (aka Papa) and he has never used the comma before "and" and sees no reason to start now. Can't teach us "olde" dogs new tricks I guess.

I read a few years ago that it was started by the New York Times to save ink. Wonder if that is true. Papa said he may reconsider as he disagrees with most everything considering the NY Times.

Deb said...

I meant so write "asked"....love the ginger bread house.....so Randiatious!

Dilettante Girl said...

Randi,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Looks like you're off to a good start for Christmas. The paper in the background is the same paper I used last year to decoupage my book case.
As for the commas, being a reporter has solidified my no comma before "and" rule. Exceptions are if it joins two sentences or separates an appositive. The book by Strunk and White, Elements of Style, and the AP Stylebook both list the rule.
Anyway, I'm adding you to my blog roll.
Monica