all images c. randi anderson 2008

Monday, September 8, 2008

Sew Far, Sew Good

I may have briefly mentioned in the past couple of weeks, my recent attempt at sewing, but now I have an update. I will begin with some history: once, in Mrs. McNeal's junior high home-ec class, I crossed stitched a baby bib and sewed a pair of boxer shorts. When I first got married I hand-sewed kitschy felt stockings for Josh and me (or myself?), and the next year I made one to match for Gatsby. Then, a couple of years ago I "embroidered" some tea towels with really simple self-designed holiday doodles as a wedding gift for my cousin. I think this pretty much sums up my sewing experience. I'll concede that there may have been an occasion somewhere amongst the aforementioned sewing attempts on which I sewed on a button or two, but honestly, I just don't sew...or didn't until now. While I still have yet to get out the sewing machine and sew something, like, real, I've had a really good time sewing stuff by hand. I was inspired mostly by this doll swap I signed up for on Vivian's blog. I've already crafted a doll for my partner (which I'll post later so I won't ruin the surprise for Annie). He's made of muslin (or his body is, at least), which I then painted. Among the other things I've sewn this last week or so is this muslin strawberry pillow for my new breakfast room bench:

...these felt "softies"- a cake, a cookie, and a doughnut. Once I got the hang of it, I was surprised how easy these were to make. *the sprinkles I just sewed withe embroidery floss before I sewed on the icing-fyi* I ended up letting Gatsby have them to play with since I wasn't sure what to do with them when I got done. They'd make adorable play-food for tea parties and such. But, alas, no kiddos here...hence, they became dog toys. They're remarkably durable and just Gatsby's size! For more "softie" inspiration check out: http://softiescentral.typepad.com/ The possibilities are endless!...and finally a bit of simple embroidery...strawberries for my swap!Next on the sewing list: an apron and some felt Christmas pillows...we'll see how that works out! :)

sweetly, happily, and artfully yours,

randi

4 comments:

Deb said...

Wow....just think what you could do with a computerized Phaff like Miss Helen has!! Your stuff is great! Love the place matts.

Beth said...

Oh, your little felt food is so cute! I love the strawberry pillow too, very appropriate for your breakfast bench!

Monica said...

Great plushies idea. My dogs would love to get their paws on something like that.

susan said...

i am excited to see you sewing! softies are addicting, but i agree you need someone to give them to.
that strawberry pillow is great!!