all images c. randi anderson 2008

Monday, October 6, 2008

A Saturday in Canton

In yet another attempt to enjoy the slightly cooler weather, we joined up with our friends, Josh and Valerie for a road trip to Canton, TX for its First Monday Trade Days. Canton, TX (about an hour west of us) is home to the world's largest outdoor trade days. These day's it's huge (and not all of it is outdoor), but there have been trade days in Canton since the 1850s! Anyway, it's a flea market like none other.
This was one of my favorite stops. This man had tables and tables of glassware all laid out sparkling in the sun! A booth full of artificial food...I had to take a picture!You really need several days to see it all, but all we had to give it was one. As usual, we looked at a lot, sifted through tons of stuff, but came home with little. It's always difficult to decide about buying something at Canton because once you do, you have to tote it around. Plus, we had Gatsby in tow already. Glass and linens, which I love, are all always in vast supply. I was disappointed not to find a tablecloth which was one of the few things I was on the look out for, but I had a blast looking through piles and piles of old aprons. I ended up with (and this is a bit embarassing)...5. They were just all so cute! And they were all only $2 except for one which only set me back $1. Four are for everyday, one is Christmas. This first one is my absolute favorite! So I included close ups of this adorable fabric...(which, if anyone recognizes it and knows where I could get some, please let me know!) It was also the one that only cost a dollar. What a find!

And this is where they all live in my kitchen...

I'm hoping to post some pictures of new creations in the next couple of days. I have about five things going at once!

Happy Monday!

sweetly, happily, and artfully yours,

randi

2 comments:

Monica said...

Great stuff. Love the first apron especially. I've always wanted to go to the Canton market, but virtual travels will have to do for now. Hope you are well.
Monica

Deb said...

I love your aprons....just too cute. We are anxious to see you in one of them.